Home  /  Rotunda of Mosta

Rotunda of Mosta

The Parish Church of the Assumption (Maltese: Knisja Arċipretali ta' Santa Marija), commonly known as the Rotunda of Mosta (Maltese: Ir-Rotunda tal-Mosta) or the Mosta Dome, is a Roman Catholic parish church in Mosta, Malta, dedicated to the Assumption of Mary. It was built between 1833 and the 1860s to neoclassical designs of Giorgio Grognet de Vassé, on the site of an earlier Renaissance church which had been built in around 1614 to designs of Tommaso Dingli.

The design of the present church is based on the Pantheon in Rome, and at one point had the third largest unsupported dome in the world. The church narrowly avoided destruction during World War II, since on 9 April 1942 a German aerial bomb pierced the dome and fell into the church during Mass but failed to explode. This event was interpreted by the Maltese as a miracle.

Public transport

Bus 47 31 41 from Valletta Bus Terminus.

Bus 202 203 from St. Julians / Sliema Bus Terminus.

Bus 31 from Bugibba Terminus.

Opening hours

  • Mon - Fri from 9.30am to 4.30pm.
  • Saturdays from 9.30am to 3.30pm.
  • Last entrance: 30 minutes before closing time.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Contact the property