Tal-Kmandant Garden was built in 1802 and was commissioned by the British High Commissioner Alexander Ball. It was given as a gift to the Leading Representative of Zejtun, Lieutenant Guze’Abela as a recognition for the participation of Zejtun in the revolts against the French. The garden gets its name from the Maltese word “Kmandant” meaning Lieutenant. On the main entrance to the garden, one can find the coat of arms of King George III of the United Kingdom and beneath it an inscription describing the purpose for which the garden was built. Once the garden was constucted, it gradually started to accomodate a diverse selection of plants and subsequently helped to improve horticulture in Malta; in fact it later also was given the status of “Giardino Botanico”. In recent years, the garden was renamed several times. At first the garden was renamed “Gnien Luqa Briffa” after the Maltese Hero who showed exceptional bravery in the Great Siege of 1565 but in 1999 the Town Council decided to give it the name of “Gnien Mikiel Cachia” (1760-1839) after the one of the Maltese Leaders who faught against the French between 1798-1800. The garden today is freely accessible to the public.
Bus 84 from Valletta Bus Terminus.
Bus 14 from St. Julians / Sliema Terminus to Valletta.
Bus 48 from Bugibba Bus Terminus to Valletta.
The Garden is open all day long.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.