The Mall Garden
The Mall Garden is narrow garden of about 400m in length which lies along an axis stretching from fort St. Elmo at tip of Valletta, along Republic Street along the Mall and on to St. Philip bastion. It was constructed by Grand Master Lascaris in 1656 as a place for recreation for the Knights where they used to play a ball game called ‘Palla a Maglio’. A sort of croquet much in vogue at that time in which a ball was driven through an iron ring suspended at the end of a long alley. The Mall Garden served its purpose for almost 250 years when its aspect was changed in 1805 by order of Sir Alexander Ball when it was converted into a public garden and became known as Maglio Gardens. The garden used to be totally enclosed by a wall which was removed after World War II as it was extensively damaged. Today Mall Gardens is a public garden lined with trees and ponds. Several monuments can be found in the garden commemorating prominent Maltese personalities of the Islands’ political and social history. At one end of the garden, one can find the majestic Independence statue, which commemorates the independence of the Malta from the English Rule. It possesses several Mediterranean plant species including olive trees, oak trees as well as the Maltese National Tree, – The Sandarac Gum tree.
Bus 13 13A 14 16 from St. Julian's / Sliema Bus Terminus.
Bus 48 from Bugibba Terminus.
The Garden is open all day long.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.