The President’s Kitchen Garden
The President’s Kitchen Garden was constructed at the time of the Order of St. John during the 18th century to serve as a kitchen garden for the needs of the Grand Masters’ cuisine. The garden was in a dilapidated state and over a period of one year it was restored and renovated for the public to enjoy. The garden was launched by Mrs. Margaret Abela, wife of H.E. the President George Abela, on the 16th June 2011. The garden still serves its original purpose, that of growing vegetables used in meals at San Anton Palace. It comprises of 3 levels. The first level consists of a child recreational area and a Sandwich Bar & Café. The food served at the Café is prepared daily in the San Anton Palace kitchen by the same cooks who provide dishes for the President and his distinguished guests. The Herb and Rose Garden is at level 2. Different kinds of herbs and vegetables are grown here. Also on this level there is a Greenhouse which serves as an educational means of hands-on practice for students who visit the garden on a daily basis. In another part of the garden there is the ‘Ghorfa’ which is a walk-through tour outlining Malta’s flora and fauna. On the third level one can find the Swan terrace. It was designed over an enormous reservoir constructed in 1766 by the Knights of St. John. The Kitchen Garden is equipped with lifts for wheelchair users and therefore is accessible for all who visit. Guided tours are also available on request.
Bus 51 52 54 from Valletta Bus Terminus.
Bus 14 from St. Julians / Sliema Terminus to Valletta.
Bus 48 from Bugibba Bus Terminus to Valletta.
The Garden is open all day long.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.